Am I entitled to compensation if Government takes over my property for a public purpose, and how would I know what this compensation is?

Under the Land Acquisition (Public Purposes) Ordinance, Government must pay you fair compensation as stipulated in the Ordinance. The law itself stipulates how this compensation is to be calculated. The Lands Authority (Land Directorate) will file a judicial letter (known as the Notice to Treat) against you in front of the Land Arbitration Board, whereby it informs you about the amount of compensation Government is willing to offer you for your property. You are also entitled to damages at the rate of 5% from the date of entry into your property.

Skip to content