Who is responsible for the management of Government immovable property?

Responsibility for the management of Government immovable property rests primarily with the Lands Authority.  However there are other government bodies/agencies that are directly involved in the management of specific types of property as follows:

(i) Industrial property  – this consists of property that is identified by Government for industrial/manufacturing use and generally comprises factories within industrial estates.  Such properties are managed and disposed of by the Malta Development Corporation  (MDC) under the auspices of the Malta Development Corporation Act and the Business Promotion Act.  The MDC is vested with such powers via Clause 2 of the Commissioner of Land Ordinance.

(ii) Residential property mainly comprises flats, maisonettes and terraced houses.  Present Government policy vests responsibility for the construction and allocation of residential premises with the Housing Authority.  Government land is therefore used for the building of such units that are then allocated and managed by the Housing Authority.  The Housing Authority may also sell such properties under any of its Home Ownership Schemes and for this purpose the Lands Authority transfers ownership to the Housing Authority.  Old housing stock is on the other hand allocated by the Department of Social Housing that draws up the necessary lease agreements with tenants.  Any rent payable is then collected by the Lands Authority (Land Directorate) that also assumes responsibility for the enforcement of lease conditions.  Repairs to residential premises are then the responsibility of the Department of Housing Construction & Maintenance Department.

(iii) Non-residential property comprises all kinds of other government immovable property that does not fall under the other two headings, including garages, shops, boathouses, rural land, vacant land, fortresses, etc.  This kind of property falls under the management of the Lands Authority except that this may still involve consultation with other departments/authorities.  Please see also the Lands Authority Policy for Disposal of Non-Residential Property.

(iv) Heritage property this is property that may be designated as cultural heritage in terms of the Cultural Heritage Act.  Under this act the Superintendent of Cultural Heritage may enter into a into a guardianship contract with a local council or with a non-government organization whereby they are given custody of such property.   This must be carried out within the terms of the Disposal of Government Land Act and therefore involves directly the Lands Authority (Land Directorate) in the process.

Skip to content